I know some of my Armenian friends will not enjoy reading this but New Year in Istanbul was fun. Visa free, close and relatively cheap, it is the perfect destination for a quick trip. 4 days was a bit short, try spending at least 5 or 6 days to make the most out of it.
- Try to get a hotel within a short walking distance from Taksim Square or Istiqlal street.
- Do some research before traveling since you’ll hardly find signs in English there.
- Avoid taxis, use the subway.
- Make sure to check the closing days of each monument since most of them close at least 1 day a week.
- If you are a group, buy a card for the metro and fill it as you need in order to avoid waiting in line each time you want to take the subway. The card can be used several times at the subway entrance.
- If you are planning to take a Bosphorus cruise, check the departure times ahead.
- Do not miss:
- Also, and most importantly, Dolmabahce Palace that I didn’t have the time to visit.
- If you like museums, the Archaeological Museum.
- You can check this website for all touristic sites information.
- As for food, do not miss eating:
More photos on Flickr.